[Productivity] Writing Retreat for Researchers (East Coast)
Being a researcher means being multiplayer; sometimes, it is difficult to concentrate on writing SOLELY. Further, some people also have multiple roles, such as caregivers in the family, and it is even harder for them to focus on writing at home.
Some researchers have strived to make the writing process not only productive but also enjoyable. The alternative model is a “writing retreat.”
Writing retreat can be defined in the following way:
“The aim of a writing retreat is to allow researchers to use dedicated writing time to progress any project in a supportive, non-surveillance environment. Most of the day is taken up for writing, with brief scheduled discussions to generate solutions to writing problems, develop drafts, lead to research-orientated conversations and provide feedback on writing in-progress.”The University of Edinburgh Institute for Academic Development
During the COVID-19 pandemic, researchers conducted virtual writing retreats as well. Here is the post on how to run an academic writing retreat.
I would love to introduce writing retreat accommodations in the East Coast region in this post. These accommodations are a mix of getaways and writing retreats, giving you a physical space to focus on writing. You can also achieve peace of mind by writing in the middle of nature.
Easton’s Nook (New Jersey)
- Location: 445 Parker Street, Newark, NJ
- $390 for a weekend (Friday morning – Sunday morning)
- $195 for one day
- $1500 for six days (click here for more information)
- Meal: Provided
Porches Writing Retreat (Virginia)
- Location: 56 Pine Hill Lane, Norwood VA
- Nightly $68 (under one week)
- 1 week $420 ($60 per night)
- 2 weeks $800
- 1 month (30 days) $1,650
- Meal: Not provided (Complimentary tea, sugar, and basic staples)
Turkey Land Cove Foundation (Massachusetts)
- Location: Edgartown, Massachusetts
- Rate: free for the accepted (Grants will be considered for women with valid U.S. citizenship, at least 21 years of age)
Some schools also provide writing retreat programs for doctoral students or faculties. For example, NYU has a summer dissertation writing retreat program.
NYU Summer Dissertation Writing Program
- 6-week program during summer
- Location: Berlin, London, Madrid, and D.C.
- Rate: free for the accepted NYU doctoral students (dormitory, $50/day subsidy, and travel expenses will be provided)
National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity also provides a 14-day writing challenge and write now access program to build a writing habit as a form of an accountability group. If your school is a member of NCFDD, you can register for it for free or at a discounted price.