- I recently changed my legal first name from Gahwan to Nari by a court order. This website will be redirected from gahwan.com to nariyoo.com until Sep 2023. Please feel free to contact me if you are interested in my personal story about Why I changed my name. I have written a short essay on it!
- My blog post on how to use getcensus package in Stata is mentioned by StataNews!
- I am organizing SICSS (Summer Institute in Computational Social Science)-NYU Silver with a focus on data science for social equity.
- I am appointed as a predoctoral fellow at NYU Constance and Martin Silver Center on Data Science and Social Equity from Jan 2023!
- Mental Health in immigrant/refugee communities
- Minority mental health and mental health disparities
- Culturally and linguistically appropriate services
- Technology in Social Work
- Structural Equation Modeling
- Multilevel Modeling
- Computational Social Science
- Text as Data for Social Work Research
As a social work researcher, my research is motivated by the desire to promote social justice and improve the mental health of racial/ethnic minorities and immigrants/refugees in the United States and Asian contexts. My questions are organized around two areas of inquiry: 1) community-level and 2) technology-related factors in predicting mental health outcomes and mental health service utilization. My long-term goal is to develop technology-assisted and/or community-based interventions to foster culturally and linguistically appropriate services.
My methodological interests encompass not only applying structural equation modeling but also leveraging computational social science approaches to social work research. At NYU, I am a predoctoral fellow at NYU Constance and Martin Silver Center on Data Science and Social Equity and have been working on two projects; 1) CARA & ABRA Project to study Asian and Black American community well-being utilizing the racial sentiment on social media, and 2) the project on harnessing Natural Language Processing to measure person-centered care in community behavioral health settings.
CITIES I'VE VISITED
I was born and grew up in two traditional villages in Korea (Andong Hahoe Village and Jeonju Hanok Village), where I discovered the joys of cross-cultural experiences. Outside of research, I seek opportunities to broaden my cultural horizons through travel, reading, and watching documentaries. You can find my recommended documentaries by visiting this page. My ultimate dream is to visit every captivating city in the world!
If you have come here to help me, you are wasting your time. But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together. – Lilla Watson
Beloved community is formed not by the eradication of difference but by its affirmation, by each of us claiming the identities and cultural legacies that shape who we are and how we live in the world. – bell hooks
Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare. – Audre Lorde
Homeland is the legacy of the selflessness of our ancestors. Its concept extends beyond all geographical borders. It is not limited to those that are born in a specific place nor does it abide by selfish nationalism. The patriotic feeling should merge with the hope and with they cry of the dispossessed, who aspire and fight for a better world without hatred. Homeland is the dignity and honor of those who know how to be deserving of it. – Jeronimo Lim Kim